About Me

My photo
L.I.F.E. - Love yourself, Invest in others, Find your purpose, and Excel in it

HE CALLED ME A DECEITFUL, LYING, ADULEROUS, WHORE

 HE CALLED ME A DECEITFUL, LYING, ADULEROUS, WHORE I was already saved and baptized and yet even I couldn't escape the harsh names that ...

Friday, January 15, 2021

BLACK GIRL MANIFESTO -by Devynity

 I had to repost this note posted by my Goddaughter. It is so special to me. I didn't put my name in this poem, but the person who wrote it did as if she knew my story. When I was younger, I got talked about excessively. When I get older, I talked about, but by Christian women who I learned that their statements about me were no more true then the words of the children who thought teasing me made them better people. God is awesome...His sheep will know His voice!

 They told me I was ugly,

Something like Pecola,

undeserving of love—no kisses, no hugs

“Go scrub my floors!” they said

“Nurse my children and when they grow up they will call you ugly too because ugly’s what you are…

”They said the lighter, the better, but still not good enough

Made me hate myself and my sisters

Showed me thin white ladies with narrow noses

Striking elegant poses

Accentuating their emaciation, then they told me I was fat

They put Hottentot Venus on display; with thick hips, thick thighs

and supple behind

And proclaimed her a freak of nature

They called me mammy

And nanny, jigaboo, sapphire, jezebel, harlot, skeezer, slut,

chickenhead, nappyhead and

Too proud and independent

Too loud and too relentless

The Black males’ emasculator

But still a welfare mother with one baby on each hip, 5 walking behind

Legs spread open and wide

To keep those checks coming

They probed my insides

Mutilated my body in the name of science

When I complained, I was reprimanded and called defiant

They made me hate myself and

My Blackness

My African-ness

My natural curves

With a nose like your father

A smile like your mother

African—yes! Before American ever was

And beautiful

Strong, yet delicate

Like the dandelions

They put Donyale on the cover of Vogue but made her

cover her face

They’ve denied us Oscars and accolades

Told us we should hate ourselves

Told us we should have no pride

Hate our heritage, our culture, our lips, our nose

Then Imus got on the air and called us nappy-headed hos

Told us hip-hop made him do it

As if the word whore was somehow created by our music

As if we criminalized ourselves

They showed me Shirley Temple dancing with Bojangles

Showed me Marilyn Monroe, Raquel Welch, Elizabeth Taylor as Cleopatra

Then they gave me Aunt Jemima, gave me ashy knees and swollen feet DAX grease, straightening combs and bleaching cream

My kinky hair the crown God gave me to wear

And so I permed it

Twisted it out of shape and I pressed it to make it straight

I burned it and colored it blonde

They called me exotic

At once marveling at my beauty and making a mockery

of my humanity

And I’ve been made an exposition

They greased me up and stripped me down

Til there was nothing mo

’Still, they copy my style—from my braids to my wrap to my fro

Still, they sing my songs

And envy my complexion

Still, they put me down

I’m so yellow, so red, so black, so brown

So beautiful—it’s true

They almost convinced me I was ugly

Til I saw you

My sister

Your radiance resonates in my reflection

With cornrows and thick lips

And the backside that switches like a pendulum

Jumping double Dutch in the schoolyard

Color confident

Almond-shaped brown eyes

As if we enslaved ourselves

As if we segregated ourselves

As if we were brought here hating ourselves

Well this is my Black girl manifesto

For my sisters in the suburbs and the ghettos

For Nikki, Alexis, Keisha

For Jessie, and Khalilah

For Black girls who beg their mommies for white Barbies

Looking in the mirror, hoping that their faces will change

For the mikas and the iquas and the aquas and the fiyahs

You are beautiful the way God made you

The sun loves you

Can’t you feel it embrace you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive